5 Resources For Building An LGBTQ+ Inclusive Pet Business
June is Pride Month, and at Pet Boss Nation, we are allies to those in the LGBTQ+ community! We’re also huge advocates for creating safe and inclusive workplaces for all employees (in the pet industry and beyond).
June, and everything that Pride Month stands for, can be taken as an opportunity to assess what we’re actively doing in our own businesses to make sure the work culture we’re creating is inclusive.
That’s why we wanted to take this chance to put together an evergreen list of resources for you to continue to educate yourself about ways to include and fully understand the needs of LGBTQ+ employees. You can come back to this list during ANY month of the year because Pride goes well beyond just the month of June!
A special shoutout goes to Pet Boss Club member, Laurie Cox from Unleashed Dog Camp, for sharing some of her favorite resources with us!
Take the month of June to start your deep dive into these topics and find ways to keep working toward an inclusive workplace, and in turn, a more inclusive world:
- This article from The Muse gives 11 easy-to-understand-and-implement ways to make your workplace more LGBTQ+ inclusive. It also points out an important part of making these necessary shifts… Not being so afraid to make good-faith mistakes that you don’t try! Mistakes are learning opportunities as we strive to nurture all-inclusive workplaces.
- Pronouns.org is a helpful and informative website that answers your questions about using gender pronouns, why using personal pronouns matters, and making sure your language in the workplace is overall gender inclusive. (P.S. Don’t miss our upcoming webinar titled “Gender Pronouns in the Workplace”! It’s on June 22, 2022. Click here to save your seat!)
- The Trans Language Primer is an introductory tour of commonly used trans terms that you can familiarize yourself (and your staff) with. Click around to explore and learn more!
- The Human Rights Campaign offers a wide array of resources, but specifically, check out their downloadable PDF resource that addresses employers offering their inclusive support to employees.
- If one way you’ve been showing your allyship is by hanging a Pride Flag, you should definitely read about this redesign! Back in 2018, Daniel Quasar updated the flag to include Black, Brown, and Trans people in our journey to full inclusion and representation. Recognizing where we can make improvements is all a part of the process, and this flag represents that!
Pride Month is important, but doing the work year-round, and for many years to come is the most important component to ensuring everyone feels safe, heard, and represented always. Happy Pride Month🏳️🌈, and enjoy digging into these amazing resources!
Learn more with us!
- Need 1:1 support to make massive action now? Book a discovery call with us to see if working 1:1 with Candace is the right fit for you.
- Get on the waitlist! You’re passionate about pets. It’s time to have a business that supports the life you want, too! Learn the specific techniques to find new customers, to increase sales and to build a better team for ANY kind of pet business by joining the Pet Boss Club! Get on the waitlist here.