Hiring A Pet Business Virtual Assistant
You need (and deserve) support in your business, Pet Boss!
That support can come in so many different forms– family and friends, your local community, a community of like-minded people (like the Pet Boss Club), or just having someone who can help you dwindle down that ever-growing “to do” list.
Like a virtual assistant.
Whether you run a service-based business, have a brick-and-mortar store, or work solely online, a virtual assistant could be the everyday superhero you need in your life.
Hiring a virtual assistant tends to be a hot topic in the Pet Boss community (join the free group here!). We get some common questions surrounding this idea, so let’s jump right to those and get you some answers!
What can a virtual assistant do?
The real question here is– what do you need them to do?! You can find a virtual assistant to handle anything in your business that can be done… well, virtually!
What’s your zone of genius in your business? What do you love doing, and which jobs do you dread? The answers to these questions will help you narrow down the skills you want to outsource.
For reference, here are some jobs you can offload to an amazing virtual assistant:
- Calling to get updated vaccine records
- Invoicing + Bookkeeping
- Data entry
- Social media management
- Confirming and scheduling appointments for daycare, grooming + boarding
- Managing your email inbox
- Email marketing newsletters
- Finding leads
- Online business management
- Marketing strategy
- And more!
Where can you find a virtual assistant?
Online business is booming! The “Great Resignation” has brought qualified professionals to the web in flocks, which is great news for Pet Bosses everywhere.
But how do you connect with these magical assistants?
The best place for pet industry professionals to start their search is right in their own backyard (and no, we are not suggesting you hire your dog… unless they’re qualified). Look for other Pet Bosses! Check communities you’re a part of (like our free one here) or reach out to others you know in the industry for a recommendation.
The next best place to search is on a virtual assistant job board where VAs are trained, looking for work, and eager to serve! While these are not specific to the pet industry, you can still browse for virtual assistants who have pet industry experience (if that is an absolute requirement for your need).
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Emily Reagan’s Unicorn VAs. Emily trains women in digital marketing AND tech skills so they can build businesses online as multi-skilled virtual assistants, AKA a unicorn for your business needs.
- Maria Carras’s Creative Virtual Assistance. Maria has an extensive VA training program, but also plays matchmaker! She can pair you with a qualified VA who is perfect for your unique needs.
- Upwork. While we do prefer the personalization factor of the two suggestions above, there are some amazing VAs floating around on Upwork too! You can post your job, and your budget, plus have the security of Upwork’s contracts to back up your interactions. You might just have to do a bit more digging on your end with this option!
What should you keep in mind when hiring?
This might be new ground you’re covering, so we have a few suggestions for what to keep in the back of your mind during the hiring process!
First, be very clear about the skills you are looking for and name them in your job description. Many virtual assistants “niche down” and specialize in one or two tasks, which will be helpful on both ends when determining who might be a fit and who isn’t.
Second, figure out how you want to communicate with your VA and make sure you’re on the same page. Will you want a weekly call? Are you cool with texting? Are you strictly an email person?
Third, what is a fair rate? Consider the long-term value your VA will bring to you and your business. Find out where they are located and what the average rate is in their area. What certifications do they have? What direct impact will they have on how much money you’ll bring into your business?
Lastly, don’t be afraid to test the waters. If you have a project ready to be knocked out, give your potential VA a test project! We suggest you make it a paid one so they’re motivated to do a great job and you get a taste of what it’s like working together.
If you need some hiring tips in general, there are a ton of them packed into episode 17 of the Boss Your Business podcast, so be sure to check it out!
Ready to get the help you need in your pet biz? A virtual assistant might be the next step for you!
Learn more with us!
- Need 1:1 support to make massive action now? Book a discovery call with us to see if working 1:1 with Candace is the right fit for you.
- Get on the waitlist! You’re passionate about pets. It’s time to have a business that supports the life you want, too! Learn the specific techniques to find new customers, to increase sales and to build a better team for ANY kind of pet business by joining the Pet Boss Club! Get on the waitlist here.