Is a Franchise in the Pet Industry the Right Choice for You?
❓ To franchise or not to franchise… that is the question! ❓
Whether you’re considering starting a business within the pet industry or you already own one but want to expand into different niches, you could explore franchising!
Purchasing a franchise is an easy entry point for anyone looking to enter the pet industry. That said, it’s not for everybody, depending on your vision for your pet business.
Let’s take a look at some common questions we get about franchising in the pet industry and explore some examples of franchises we love!
These are five perks for choosing a franchise over building a brand new business:
- Business assistance from the franchiser. The terms of this will vary from franchise to franchise, but in some cases, you could be purchasing a turnkey operation! Not trying to figure it all out yourself (of course if you really want to, that’s why we’re here!)
- Higher success rate. Franchises have proven that there is a need in the market for what they have to offer. In general, franchises have a higher success rate than solo operations. Plus, their profits tend to be higher, with lower risk involved.
- Established branding. Starting your own solo pet business means starting a brand from scratch. Franchises have branding that is established and recognized by many. Customers will know what to expect from you!
- Discounts on buying. Franchises have buying power because franchisors can negotiate deals for their entire network of locations. That means bigger discounts on goods and lower operation costs!
- Loyal customer base. Your business comes with a reputation and, luckily, loyal brand followers! Attracting customers is much easier when you don’t have to prove yourself within the community as a trusted name.
What kind of franchises are there in the pet industry?
There are so many franchises out there that you can find one in every niche of the pet industry you can think of!
- Pet retail. Selling food, toys, and other supplies for pets.
- Pet grooming. Haircuts, bathing, nail trims, and MORE for pets.
- Pet daycare and boarding. Some franchises offer just one of these services or both!
- Pet walking and sitting. This type of franchise might not even require a brick-and-mortar space!
- Dog training. If helping dogs and pet parents learn is your thing!
What is the process of purchasing a franchise like?
First, research multiple franchises within the pet industry niche that you want. Look at their market, sales record, reputation, competition, and franchise fees. Narrow down your list based on your research.
Next, you’ll begin an application process with the franchise that is the right fit for you based on your (extensive) research. You may want to get an attorney involved at this stage so you can pay very close attention to details. At this stage, the franchiser will also want to research you. They’ll look at things like your finances, location, past education, work experience, and why you chose them.
Once they’ve done their due diligence and are ready to move on to the next stage, they might schedule something called a “Discovery Day” or “Discovery Meeting.” This is where both parties can meet each other in person and get any additional questions out onto the table.
If it’s a great fit, then onto financing! You’ll start applying to finance for opening your franchise, including franchise fees and other expenses.
After you’ve gotten approved for financing, you’ll start the process of finalizing your franchise paperwork, which is where you’ll also want an attorney to step in and closely interpret any confusing verbiage.
If you haven’t already, you’ll then decide on your location! You may have already had a location in mind when meeting with the franchise or applying for financing, but all finalizations (leases signed, property purchased, or whatever that looks like) will happen in this stage before moving ahead.
And lastly, you’ll build out your location and begin the franchise training. You’re entering into an established pet business with branding, systems, and guidelines, so you’ve got to be an expert! The plus side is that franchises help you get established in this stage, so you’re prepped and ready when the doors open!
*Note– this is a QUICK summary of the process. Opening a franchise takes time… a lot of it! Be patient, though, Pet Boss! It’ll be worth every step.
Who are some of our favorite pet industry franchises?
Well, our Pet Boss Club members, of course! Check out these examples:
petNmind Naturals & Self-Wash – Former Club Member, Adrian Arden, turned his pet retail store model into a franchise and just sold his first one!
Woof Gang Bakery® – This is one of the fastest growing franchises in pet retail and grooming with over 200 locations across the U.S.! We’ve had many of their top franchisees as Pet Boss Club members over the years. Currently, Kathy Jourdan of Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming in Westlake, Cedar Park, Texas, is a Club Member!
Puparazzi Mobile Pet Spaw – Pet Boss Club member Tammy Rogers operates her location, but is also the franchisor of this mobile grooming business and is always looking for driven individuals looking to start a career in the pet industry!
Pet Wants – Pet Boss Club members Amber Sutfin and Susan Simpson opened their locations and bought into this paw-mazing retail brand that sells the most nutritious pet foods and products.
Earthwise Pet – Club member David Thorpe has seen great success after purchasing his franchise location of this pet supply and pet service location!
As you can see from the above list, while every franchise provides support, the Pet Boss Club still has a ton of professional development assistance to provide to franchisees! The franchisees we have in our Club have utilized our resources and community to grow their business beyond where they’d be with only the support of their franchisor, and we simply love having them and helping them!
So, do you think franchising is right for you!? If you’re still not sure and you’re going over ALL of your options, check out our blog with three questions to ask yourself when starting ANY pet business!
Learn more with us!
- Need 1:1 support to make massive action now? Book a discovery call with us to see if working 1:1 with Candace is the right fit for you.
- Get on the waitlist! You’re passionate about pets. It’s time to have a business that supports the life you want, too! Learn the specific techniques to find new customers, to increase sales and to build a better team for ANY kind of pet business by joining the Pet Boss Club! Get on the waitlist here.