Small Business Saturday 2022: The Pet Business Roundup
The BIG weekend dust has settled. Small Business Saturday 2022 is now in the books…
So how was yours?!
Whether you had big plans or not, we wanted to round up some ideas from this past Small Business Saturday so you can start thinking ahead for 2023. There’s no time like now to start planning!
But first, let’s remember why Small Business Saturday exists.
Small Business Saturday was a campaign launched by American Express back in 2010. While it was a great marketing tool for American Express, it was also a way to help small businesses gain exposure and inspire shoppers to shop within their local communities during the holiday season.
It exists because of you. The work you are doing and your pet business is worth celebrating and supporting. So don’t ever forget it!
If you didn’t get a chance to plan Small Business Saturday in your pet business this year, or you want some fresh ideas, bookmark these for next year:
- Give everyone a small gift with purchase– a plant, a flower, a dog toy or treat, a bag of sweets, or a coupon for future shopping. It doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money!
- Encourage Small Business Selfies while in your store and select the most creative and most liked for a prize from your store.
- Collect items from local shops and have a raffle for a customer to win either a large grand prize of all of them or individual items.
- Invite a local celebrity you might know or who lives in your area to stop by and say hi or take photos.
- Listen to episode 51 of the Boss Your Business podcast for seven more ideas!
Want to see a successful Small Business Saturday in action? Check out what these Pet Boss Club® members did this year:
- Jennifer Thomas, owner of Lucky Dog Pet Grocery & Bakery in Lawrence, Kansas utilized a gift card special and watched her sales skyrocket!
“Yay for us. Friday and Saturday were our two best days in our 10 years in business. We had a great 2021, but we exceeded Friday/Saturday sales by 30%. We did ‘spend $75, get a $20 gift card’ for Dec/Jan and specials throughout the store.”Jennifer Thomas, Lucky Dog Pet Grocery & Bakery
- Jen Bulmer of Tails of Rescue in Kahoots reported that sales were up on Small Business Saturday, and they had tons of fun hosting photos with the Grinch for pups and kids!
- If you’re a dog trainer, check out what Jen Havens of Two Dogs Pet Services offered her customers as a Small Business Saturday deal!
“We’re offering half-price Holiday Helper Training calls for busy dog pawrents who need a last-minute training elf so their holidays are less chaotic and much safer for their dogs and guests. 30-minute training call that includes 1-3 practical, ethical, and effective training tips catered to their household + they’ll receive a spin on the prize wheel that will reveal a discount on their next training service.”Jen Havens, Two Dogs Pet Services
- Cynthia McKinney, owner of Loyl’s Natural Pet in Houston, Texas hosted an event on Small Business Saturday that gave her customers chances to earn “Blizzard Bucks,” spin a fun prize wheel, enter a raffle, AND walk away with a free pupcake for their dog!
- Megan Van Paris, owner of Because Dogs Supply Co. put together Deluxe First Aid Kits and got 20 orders on the first day, which enabled her to purchase enough supplies to make 50 more of them and have them ready to ship out before Christmas!
Your Small Business Saturday 2023 homework:
It’s never too early to start planning your year, and if you already know what you’d love to do for Small Business Saturday next year, you’re one step ahead!
☑️ Explore these ideas and note your favorites.
☑️ Set what goals you’d love to reach for the day.
☑️ Decide which ideas will help you achieve those goals.
☑️ Schedule planning time into your calendar.
☑️ Prep your team! Let them help you with the “to do” list for next year.
☑️ Keep us updated! Join our free Facebook group for petpreneurs to bounce ideas around and get feedback.
You’re a hard-working petpreneur making a difference in the world and your community! You deserve to celebrate BIG on Small Business Saturday (and heck, every day!) Want more support in planning your Small Business Saturday 2023 and elevating your pet business next year? Then we have a waitlist you want to be on! Join us in the Pet Boss Club® when we open the doors in 2023. Let’s make it your best year yet!
Learn more with us!
- Need 1:1 support to make massive action now? Book a discovery call with us to see if working 1:1 with Candace is the right fit for you.
- Get on the waitlist! You’re passionate about pets. It’s time to have a business that supports the life you want, too! Learn the specific techniques to find new customers, to increase sales and to build a better team for ANY kind of pet business by joining the Pet Boss Club! Get on the waitlist here.